Cliche and then some..
I had to attend a mentor get to know session today at 9 in the morning. That's pre-dawn! Who the harl wakes up that early anyways?
Lol. Yes, this cat has become a late birdy. She usually wakes up at 8am, but now, not before noon thanks.
I volunteered myself to be a mentor for the orientation week so I could convince these new gullible international students to do my every bidding *evil cackle* . I jest! I jest! I want to make them feel welcome and help them try to adjust to life away from family. I knew I had a hard time adjusting as my mentor was a real pain. I remembered how it felt to be a wide-eye newbie a whole new environment.
I feel a story coming up. Buckle your seats ladies (and gents) and don't touch that mouse until Im done.
I came to Australia about 3 weeks earlier before I was supposed to. I had to as both parents had work commitments and that was the only time both we're available. No dramas there.
It started when they left. I was alone in this godforsaken town, knowing no one but the international counselor ( I can't 'hang-out' with him!). I was alone in the house. No one to talk to. I did not know how to connect to the internet, let alone the phone. Nothing. Reality sank in that I was actually living on my own. I cried myself to sleep every night as I have never been this lonely.
My boyfriend at that time was a very sweet man. He called me every night just to check how I was doing and of course I would be bawling my eyes out saying how I despise it here; how much I miss home; how much I miss him (but in the end I dumped him. Ouch.)You catch the drift. My parents called twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Time pass by and I soon after figure (on my own with help from international student service too) more or less how things work here. Where to connect your phone line, where to get pre-paid internet, how the bus system works. One day, I was going to Kmart to get some groceries. In the bus, I encountered a few students from Brunei. I didn't notice until they start giggling. Some how we Bruneians giggle differently, go figure. I used to attend school with one of them and the rest well, not actually rocket science now.
Did they talk to me?
No. Not a single word uttered. All they did was stare and giggled some more.
How did I feel at that time?
Like a total idiot.
I just shrugged the whole incident aside. Self-confidence dipping to its lowest level.
Then came orientation week. I thought, well I'm going to make the most of this; Im going to make new friends and meet lots of people. yada yada yada.
I did. I had a wonderful time. However, it was rather strange that people from my own country made me feel most unwelcomed. And that feeling stayed for as long as I could remember. Whenever I ask a question, all i get is a one word answer and a scowl. Right. Perhaps they felt threatened by my presence? The fact that I refuse to adhere to their 'rules' and 'ways'.
I don't know. Maybe it was me, maybe it was them. I did make the effort to be nice. But that rejected feeling stayed for quite a while. Albeit, I refuse to let 'them' spoil my semester. I mixed around with other foreign students and made that made my semester much better. I was aware that 'they' were gossiping about me. How? The walls have ears =) Plus its a kampong town. Word gets around very quickly.
Again, I shrugged it off. How true could these gossips be when I don't even mingle with them. Mind you, it was still a bit tough for me. Whenever my parents call, I always mengadu to them.
My dad always say "Do not let them falter your strength. One day they will look for you. Just be patient and don't forget to pray."
Ahh. My father, my saviour.
Years went by and true enough, my father's words came true. All I had to do was sit and goyang kaki and they came a-calling. One by one they confide in me for they know they could trust me with their secrets. Despite how they treated me in the first place, I kept my word and do not reveal whatever they have confided in me. A promise is a promise.
In fact, now, I can say we are very good friends. We confide in each other about certain subjects and it stays mums between us. I have manage to gain their full trust. And what of I? Do I trust them? Aah..what do you think? I'll let you figure that out. The rest is history as they say.
I had no regrets coming here. Life is a teacher, you learn from her. That experience taught me to stand on my own and made me a better person (oh-so-cliche-but it's true).
And then...there was Hardy =)
But we'll save that for another day ;)
Have a good weekend all!
[edit] Meet camwhore 1 and camwhore 2. LOL. [/edit]
Lol. Yes, this cat has become a late birdy. She usually wakes up at 8am, but now, not before noon thanks.
I volunteered myself to be a mentor for the orientation week so I could convince these new gullible international students to do my every bidding *evil cackle* . I jest! I jest! I want to make them feel welcome and help them try to adjust to life away from family. I knew I had a hard time adjusting as my mentor was a real pain. I remembered how it felt to be a wide-eye newbie a whole new environment.
I feel a story coming up. Buckle your seats ladies (and gents) and don't touch that mouse until Im done.
I came to Australia about 3 weeks earlier before I was supposed to. I had to as both parents had work commitments and that was the only time both we're available. No dramas there.
It started when they left. I was alone in this godforsaken town, knowing no one but the international counselor ( I can't 'hang-out' with him!). I was alone in the house. No one to talk to. I did not know how to connect to the internet, let alone the phone. Nothing. Reality sank in that I was actually living on my own. I cried myself to sleep every night as I have never been this lonely.
My boyfriend at that time was a very sweet man. He called me every night just to check how I was doing and of course I would be bawling my eyes out saying how I despise it here; how much I miss home; how much I miss him (but in the end I dumped him. Ouch.)You catch the drift. My parents called twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Time pass by and I soon after figure (on my own with help from international student service too) more or less how things work here. Where to connect your phone line, where to get pre-paid internet, how the bus system works. One day, I was going to Kmart to get some groceries. In the bus, I encountered a few students from Brunei. I didn't notice until they start giggling. Some how we Bruneians giggle differently, go figure. I used to attend school with one of them and the rest well, not actually rocket science now.
Did they talk to me?
No. Not a single word uttered. All they did was stare and giggled some more.
How did I feel at that time?
Like a total idiot.
I just shrugged the whole incident aside. Self-confidence dipping to its lowest level.
Then came orientation week. I thought, well I'm going to make the most of this; Im going to make new friends and meet lots of people. yada yada yada.
I did. I had a wonderful time. However, it was rather strange that people from my own country made me feel most unwelcomed. And that feeling stayed for as long as I could remember. Whenever I ask a question, all i get is a one word answer and a scowl. Right. Perhaps they felt threatened by my presence? The fact that I refuse to adhere to their 'rules' and 'ways'.
I don't know. Maybe it was me, maybe it was them. I did make the effort to be nice. But that rejected feeling stayed for quite a while. Albeit, I refuse to let 'them' spoil my semester. I mixed around with other foreign students and made that made my semester much better. I was aware that 'they' were gossiping about me. How? The walls have ears =) Plus its a kampong town. Word gets around very quickly.
Again, I shrugged it off. How true could these gossips be when I don't even mingle with them. Mind you, it was still a bit tough for me. Whenever my parents call, I always mengadu to them.
My dad always say "Do not let them falter your strength. One day they will look for you. Just be patient and don't forget to pray."
Ahh. My father, my saviour.
Years went by and true enough, my father's words came true. All I had to do was sit and goyang kaki and they came a-calling. One by one they confide in me for they know they could trust me with their secrets. Despite how they treated me in the first place, I kept my word and do not reveal whatever they have confided in me. A promise is a promise.
In fact, now, I can say we are very good friends. We confide in each other about certain subjects and it stays mums between us. I have manage to gain their full trust. And what of I? Do I trust them? Aah..what do you think? I'll let you figure that out. The rest is history as they say.
I had no regrets coming here. Life is a teacher, you learn from her. That experience taught me to stand on my own and made me a better person (oh-so-cliche-but it's true).
And then...there was Hardy =)
But we'll save that for another day ;)
Have a good weekend all!
[edit] Meet camwhore 1 and camwhore 2. LOL. [/edit]


4 Comments:
Ooooh I love the new layout! I have such a thing about a masked ball, am trying to get my housemate to have one for her 21st...Just think it's really sexy somehow...?
anyways, interesting post... Guess some of our fellow countrymen just judge us before they even know us so.. what to do, hey? *shrugs* Heh.. worked out well in the end tho kn? =)
F xxx
OOooooOOOOOOhhh,. a beautiful new layout! ^_^ *feathers up*
Interesting & great story of ducky sis' life. LUV IT!
Lookin forward to Hardy-part! ^_~
April: *whisper*I got it off from some other website. Heheh. I don't know how to build one from scratch.
We both got through it and survived =) I say we deserve a medal for that. I do not wish on anyone, even my worst enemies, to go through what I did. It is just too loathsome.
I hope by being a mentor, I will truly be a big help to them. =)
Fina: I know babygirl!! I was telling Hardy about having a masquerade party for my 23rd. But he gave me the "Uh-huh.Watever" look. LOL. It would be fun, no?
And yes, some people need an attitude adjustment, but who am I to say. Most would say that I need it as well. It evens out in the end =) xoxoxo
Mich: Thanks ducky! *pats glittery feathers* What are you doing online? Go entertain that hubooby of yours. LOL. It's a pain. I know. Hahah. xoxoxo
Ka Sas: Yeah, in the end its them who's missing out on a good thing. =)
Post a Comment
<< Home